Saturday, October 11, 2008

New Mom Learning Curve

I have discovered the power of Desitin. It only took me about 5 weeks to realize that Desitin CREAMY is not the same as Desitin ORIGINAL. After weeks of trying different products, a trip to the pediatrician's office, frequent baths and diaper changes, and lots of new mom worries, I read the back of the Desitin ORIGINAL box and realized that it contains 40% zinc oxide, as compared to only 10% found in the CREAMY version. It worked like a charm. The other cool thing is that if you get Desitin under enough of your finger nails, it looks like you have a French manicure. Can you tell I've been a little sheltered lately?

Go Blue!
The other thing I've learned, after receiving advice from my Supermom friend Kristen, is that babies tend to sleep longer if they are swaddled. We've been using blankets, but he squirms out of them pretty easily. This is Aaron in his new SwaddleMe Blanket by Kiddopotamus. Already today, he's taken a longer nap than usual. We'll soon see whether this was a coincidence, or truly the gift from God that I think it is.
Grandma D helped out with bath night. She and Ron are visiting for the weekend.
Although this isn't a full-out smile, it is headed in that direction. I just wanted you all to know that my baby does actually smile sometimes. Once he gets big enough to realize how funny his Daddy is, he won't be able to stop!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Weiss Women said...

Seriously he is so cute! My favorite diaper rash cream is called Triple Paste. White box with blue writing. In MI I have to order it from the pharmacy but in IL and NE I can get it over the counter because they apparently are very loose with their drugs. Ha! But I love that stuff. According to a pharmacy friend it is a combination of 3 different creams. hence the name I guess! That creamy desitin stuff is for the birds! Grandma D looks great holding that sweet baby! Has she been singing to him? :) I have several friends who swear by those swaddling type wraps. My kids always liked to get their arms out of the wrap to put them over their heads. Probably decreasing blood flow to the brain. None of us really know what we are doing! But if he is sleeping better because of that wrap then you had better buy several of them in case he poops on it in the middle of the night! You are doing and awesome job Lauren! You too Kyle!

Anonymous said...

So happy that the destin and wrap are working. I'm happy and glad that Delma and Ron are there too. Hope you all have a great time.
Hi to everyone there,
Love, Grandpa P

Anonymous said...

What a handsome lad tis he. I think he needs a new shirt however. How about a nice green one with perhaps a large white S on it! I wonder what strange things Grandma Burrows used on Billy,Johnny,Jimmy and Marky,s cute little bottoms- probably vicks which had many purposes. I had to LOL about the remark that someone? made about Grandma D singing! It would probably make Aaron LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Aaron is adorable and looks especially nice in his MI outfit. Maybe when he gets older he can help out that football team. I know Grandma Delma is enjoying her special moments (just DON'T sing happy birthday to him yet...). It is not fun to be so far away from all of that sweetness. Love to all of you!

Anonymous said...

oops,GRANDPA GOOFED:)

The Elliotts said...

The wrap looks like a baby straight jacket. We will have to try one of those on our second one. Alec would wiggle out of a swaddle any day.

Anonymous said...

What a Chub! He looks like Ben in some pictures and Ricky in others. Yes, diaper rashes can be very stressful. Spencer was getting diahrea all the time and it caused a really bad rash, we had to "collect" poop samples to take to the doctor. That was a fun time. I'll spare you the details. He ended up having an intolerance for lactose in milk so now we have to limit his dairy. The joys of parenting! Don't forget to give Aaron his tummy time, I bet Daddy Kyle could show him how.
Give Aaron a kiss from his Aunt Laura, I wish I could come down to meet him.
Love, Laura